Why Choose Pine Hill
WHY CHOOSE PINE HILL
* Contrary to most schools, we allow the parents to choose when the child comes to school, regardless of his age, until the start of Kindergarten. While most choose a Monday / Wednesday / Friday pattern, or all five days, parents may opt for a staggered schedule to match their employment hours. For example, a child might come on Tuesday and Wednesday morning and Friday afternoon. Or another might come five mornings a week and two afternoons, giving that child two full days in addition to mornings. Because the ages are mixed, and many families enroll their children full-time (five full days a week). The minimum for half-days is three per week. All of the children will be acquainted with their friends, regardless of her attendance schedule.
* Our sessions are three hours, rather than the two-and-a-half that most schools offer.
* Pine Hill is one of the few schools with a multi-age population, offering the many advantages that educators are now saying is the most beneficial environment for children.
* While other preschools offer Spanish "lessons" at certain times during the week, and there is one Spanish immersion elementary school, we are currently the only preschool with a foreign language immersion program.
* We have acquired many Montessori materials, and incorporate certain Montessori principles in our program.
* Our student-teacher ratio in First and Second grades is 1 to 8, in Kindergarten is 1 to 12, and in Preschool is 1 to 7. We occasionally have a student teacher sent to us from Indiana University, lowering that ratio even more.
* Because learning doesn't just take place in the classroom, our upper grades engage in 10-12 field trips and community service projects throughout the year. These field trips are incorporated into our lesson plans as well as each student's year-long journal project.